Turning Data into Information: The Alchemy of Curation
Increasingly, the art of data curation is being seen in academic circles as key to the discovery of data and its transformation into useful information—instead of just a jumble of facts and figures. According to the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Sciences, the discipline of data curation “enables data discovery and retrieval, maintaining its quality, adding value, and providing for reuse over time.” In this presentation, you will learn how to improve business analytics and data science projects through specific data curation solutions, such as:
- Providing value added context to data analysts through well-developed dataset descriptions.
- Improving collaboration by documenting the sharing of data and metadata across your organization and between organizations.
- Ensuring that data science projects can be validated and replicated through the use of consistent sourcing and citation mechanisms.
- Improving discovery and accessibility through the documentation of contextual metadata from the point of creation throughout the data lifecycle.
- The preferred skill set of a data curator and how to cultivate curation excellence in your organization.